Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Silence Within

Most of my poetry begins with a phrase
chasing itself around in my head.
I have learned that there is usually a truth
to be learned from this kind of thing -
for me at least. My poetry is always
a surprise to me!


The Silence Within
Plumbing mysteries of life
Exchanged for ignorant poverty
Life’s a jumble
Leaves us hungering
For the feast.
In rags of mundanity
We stumble through life
Eyes downcast
Blind to the presence
Of spiritual food.
Life in the margins
Never savouring the depths
Groveling in confusion
Precious time ill-spent
Looking in barren fields.
Drowning in a famine of chaos
Begging for meaning
In all the wrong places
Weary and worn from our emptiness
Downtrodden by shadows.
Raising our eyes
Looking inward for help
Our path becomes clearer
Silence envelops us.
A gateway appears.
We are rich beyond measure.
sfs2001


This was written at a time when I was grasping at straws
looking for meaning - often in the wrong places.
Only when I started to write the last five lines
did I begin to understand my reason for writing this poem.

1 comment:

  1. Again and again I come across the words 'the answer lies within'...I think they're almost always the answer!

    ReplyDelete